Saturday 30 March 2013

Post Production Essay.



Production for my AS work was that i had to produce a Front Cover, Contents page and a Double Page Spread. This had to be well thought about and a variety of tools were used in order for this to take place.
In post production i had to take pictures that i was going to use for my magazine. In order to this, many steps had to be taken for example I needed to get hold of a decent camera, as well as a location to take the photos at and an artist that I can use in the photos. This was all a process of post production as this needed to be done in order for the final piece to be completed. Once I had got all these things together, it was time for me to use some types of technology to put them onto the computer so I was able to edit them etc. Luckily, when we did our preliminary task, we was shown how to put them up and this made it a lot easier for me as my knowledge of doing this had increased. This is where I next had to use software to put it together. To back this up, we can use Bentley’s theory (1997) which tells us that by doing a preliminary task before helps us to do the final version, and this is true when looking back at when I did my work.
The main software in order for post-production to take place was Photoshop which gave me a range of tools to use for my post production elements. I had to play around with this first in order to get used to it and once i had done it got simple to use. The first draft i did, i was not that good at using. I inserted images that i was going to use on my magazine and used tools like Magnetic Lasso and the contrast and brightness adjusting tool. With the magnetic lasso i was able to crop around the image so the background that i did not want i could get rid of and have the image alone that i wanted for my final piece. In addition, due to me wanting the pictures to look professional and suit the genre i tried to use some effects that Photoshop had to offer to see if i could make it better. One effect i did use was the contrast tool to make the image look grey scale as this linked to my genre better and link in with colour scheme of the magazine. This was all post production as this was what i was doing in the process of making my final piece, this links to the actual piece as it will be what I will use. This is just an example of one thing that I did in my post production; however the software I used, which was Photoshop, was the main one through post production and the production process.

In A2 for post production, I had to do some of the same things that I did in AS but due the fact of me already having done them, I was able to use different elements and conventions to make it better which shows that I have made an improvement since AS.
Firstly, like before I had to take pictures of an artist, in a certain costume and a certain location which would suit the genre of my music video. From my mistakes before, I had learnt a few key things for example, the type of poses and location he would need to be in, I had thought of these before so I wasn’t looking for one last minute like I did in AS. Once I had taken my pictures, I went through the same process of putting them on the computer which allows me to edit them and what not. However, because I had done this previously, I found it very easy and did the process very quick and was able to know the tools I needed to use to crop the pictures and use it efficiently. This again shows an improvement from my AS and it was a massive advantage.
Something differently we had to do this time round is filming for the video, as this will enable to put it all together and make our final version. For this, we needed a high quality video camera to get the best quality possible for the video as this will make it more professional and we had to choose locations for us to do the filming and make it link to the genre and conventions for the video. After doing the main part of the post production, we had to upload it to the computers and this was much more difficult that doing it with images as we had to use a totally new software and we had never uploaded videos before.
However, once this was completed we then had to use the new software to the editing as we had to put it all together and make the lipsyncing was in time with the song. This was new to us both but after we got used to it, it became easier. We used our knowledge from when we first used photoshop, meaning that playing around with it first then made it easier to get used to it. In addition, like AS we did a preliminary task and this also made it a bit easier and again this links to the theorist Bentley (1997).

The post production was a must when making the final piece as this allows you to put it all together and actually create a final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment